Pages

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Lets talk nappy covers

At the beginning I didn't bother with nappies that needed covers such as fitted or prefolds. It wasn't until my son was about 4 months and my stash was dangerously low that I gave in and purchased some prefolds and covers. Since then prefolds have almost become my favourite type of nappy.



When my son was a newborn I had a Real Nappies prefold and Snug wrap. It was this combination that put me off prefolds. Of the four different covers I have tried these are my least favourite. Yes they held in newborn poop explosions, and were a snug fit but I found I couldn't get a nice fit on my son so never got anymore. Unlike the other covers in this review they are the only ones to not have a double gusset and it is only the elasticated leg that holds the mess in around the legs. While I never had a leak when I used them I prefer double gussets. I also found that to get the right sort of snug fit there were often red marks left.

The cover is a thick pul and does come in a small range of bright colours. They only have velcro closure which I liked when my son was little but now I do prefer snaps. They are also sized so as your child grows you need to purchase more, you can sell them on once you no longer have a need so can recover some of the cost. In total there are 4 sizes, Newborn 2.5-6kg, Infant, 5-9 kg, Crawler 8-14kg and Toddler 14-18+ kg.

Overall this is my least favourite cover due to it's lack of double gussets, and the fact that the cover is a bit more stiff than my other covers. Unfortunately no picture is available as I passed this nappy cover on after my son grew out of it.

**********

These next covers would have to be one of my favourites and if I could get more from a New Zealand stockist I would. Yes I could get them online direct from America but like to support local, plus it saves on bank fees.


 **********
 

Thirsties Duo Wraps are available in both snap and velcro closure. I opted for snaps over velcro, I think the shop I got them from only had snaps. They come in two sizes, 3-8 kg(6-18 lbs) and 8-18kg(18-40 lbs). Both sizes have snap down rises with 3 settings for a greater fit. The velcro has recently been upgraded and will now last longer. If you opt for snap closure each shell will have two snaps on each wing snapping onto a single row of snaps across the front.

Size one on largest waist and rise settings

The shells are a breathable laminate that can be wiped clean between uses if not soiled. They are are a thinner fabric and very flexible. They have double gussets on the legs which hold in mess. I am yet to have a leak and my son is known for his explosions. They also have an elasticated tummy for greater containment and a better fit.

Overall I highly recommend these covers. My son is currently 8.5kg and is still fitting in the size one, only just however.


**********



Gen-Y Universal..... I purchased one of these when I couldn't get the next size up Thirsties Duo Wrap in snap closure. I opted for the Gen-Y over other covers after doing some research. I liked the pocket type features as it meant that if I used the prefold pad folded there would soft fabric against his skin and not the laminated part like there would be with covers such as the Best Bottom ones. The pocket like feature also means that I can use other inserts in the cover without them moving about, but for the time being it is just a prefold snappi'd into place.
9 months 8.4 kg

The Gen-Y Universal covers come in two sizes, small 2.7kg -8.2kg(6-18lbs) and large 8.2kg-17.5kg(18-38lbs). I have only purchased the size large covers so am unsure how the small compares in size. In reality I should have gotten a small to begin with but with my son almost too big for his Thirsties Duo covers I opted to go for a large. He is only now just starting to fit it at 8.4kg, he is a long lean baby however so is on the small size weight wise.

9 months 8.4kg
When I first tried the cover he gaped at the legs and I did have one containment fail where his poop went up out the back and all over me when I was holding him. Not the most pleasant thing to clean up. I waited a couple of weeks before putting it on him again and now we have no issues. The legs holes while being generous fit him nicely and the waist is easy to adjust.

I like the soft elastics used on the tummy, back and legs and am yet to have any red marks. They hug the legs and waist yet are nice and soft on the skin. Being a side snap closure also means that I can get a better fit around the waist and legs compared to other nappies/covers, though it took a little bit of trial and error to get the hang of the side snap system.


**********



The second cover I purchased to replace my Thirsties once too small is a Rumparooz OSFM and am currently unimpressed.
I like the double gussets but hate the fit over prefolds. For some reason I just can't get it to sit right and look right, no leaks though. I find that there is just too much excess fabric for it to look nice especially in the front. I only use it if I have to, but am determined to keep going and maybe when he is larger it will fit my son better. I also have some fitted nappies that are waiting to have the leg elastics replaced so will see how the cover works over them. I think it will work better with the fitteds than the prefolds.

As you can see from the two pictures above this cover has a very odd fit with excess fabric in the front. I did try and reduce the rise setting so that it was smaller but the legs were then too tight and I couldn't get a good waist fitting. So far over prefolds the fit just doesn't work.
**********

So if I am to order the 4 covers mentioned in order of preference they would be: Thirsties, Gen-Y, and last in a tie Rumparooz and Real Nappies Snug Wrap.

What is your favourite cover?

Disclaimer: The reviews mentioned in this post are my personal opinion and preference. No all covers suit all babies and its all about trial and error.

The nappy covers listed above can be purchased in New Zealand from the following websites:
Nappy Heaven  - Gen-Y Universal
Tweedle  -Rumparooz Cover
Real Nappies - Real Nappies Sung Wrap
Mothers Instinct - Thirsties Duo Wrap Velcro closure only

0 comments:

Post a Comment